Monday, November 15, 2010

Jumping Through Medical Hoops

When did medicine become more about paperwork and less about helping people? It's funny all the people you have to go through to see a doctor. Receptionists, office managers, nurses, and physicians assistants. All this to see a doctor who will probably see you for five minutes before walking out the door.

No matter what the issue, big or small, I always feel like a number. A stepping stone to the next appointment waiting down the hall. Look, I wouldn't be here if I didn't need to be. I'm here for help, so please help me instead of transferring my call or passing me along to the next person.

Nothing is more emotional than trying to have a child. These tests I have to take are not just routine, they will determine the rest of my life. This is important to me and I take it very seriously. Sometimes I think I take it more seriously than the person providing the test. When you want something so much, you'll do anything to get it, even if that means yelling at a know-it-all nurse once in a while.

Things get even more complicated the more people that are involved and if two separate doctor's offices are involved, forget it, something will fall between the cracks. You have to be your own advocate. Keep pushing until you get the results you want. After all, this is about you, isn't it? The patient, remember? But then again without paperwork and insurance, you're nothing. Patients have been reduced to numbers and files and insurance cards. You do not have a soul, just a body.

I get that doctors and nurses do and see this kind of stuff everyday, but I do not. I don't know what I'm doing and I 've never done this before so how can you expect me to make decisions in one minute or over the phone that will affect the rest of my life.

After spending a day dealing with doctors and nurses and tests, I walk away completely overwhelmed and emotionally exhausted. The sad part is I haven't even gotten the test results yet, I'm still jumping through the hoops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment