Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sea of Uncertainty

I live in a sea of uncertainty. I am floating in the ocean. It's dark. The waves are rolling me up and down like a roller coaster. I'm hanging on to a life preserver. I am alone. In the distance I can see several buoys scattered across the horizon. I don't know what their purpose is or if I will ever reach them. I am just floating helplessly. I have no control.

This is how I feel on a daily basis. My life is constantly changing from one drama to the next. I crave stability and envy people that have it. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe this is why I'm always on the edge. I realize I can't live my life like this but now it has a name and that name is uncertainty.

The floating helpless in the sea scenario helps put me at peace. We are never really in control. We like to think we are but we're not. Call it God or the universe but most things are out of our hands. We only have enough time to react like a car accident. Either we fight the oncoming waves and wait for help or let them carry us away into the great unknown.

No one wants their life to be boring but when things are constantly chaotic all you want is boredom. Some people seem to have a picture perfect life--loving family, good schools, successful career, marriage, house, kids. That's what everyone wants but that's certainly not what everyone gets.

Life has its ups and downs. Some people seem to have it all figured out and for all you know their lives could be falling apart. You have to ride the wave and hang on tight. We're all floating in a sea of uncertainty. Some people just handle it better than others and some people are lucky enough not to have as many waves to ride.

Sometimes I wish for a life of boredom but then when you're bored you want something exciting to happen. It's all about balance. We all want and need a home and family to rely on. We need safety, security, and stability. Sometimes you think you have it when you really don't. That's what the life preserver is for. We all need to hold onto something, something that will hopefully guide us in the right direction, wherever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment