Sunday, July 17, 2011

No More Mr. Nice Guy

In general, I think I'm a nice person. I try to be kind and polite to everyone I meet. I try. I don't go looking for trouble. But I'm also not a pushover either. Cross me and the claws come out. Bottom line is I don't take crap.

I'm a shy person and sometimes I'm afraid to speak up. Because of this I believe some people, especially when I was younger, took advantage of me. Part of it was my fault based on my personality. But the older I get, the more assertive I am. I'm not a pushover anymore, especially when I believe I'm right. I'm not taking anyone's crap. The good, quiet girl is gone and underneath is a volcano waiting to erupt.

There's the old saying nice guys finish last and I believe that to be true. Sometimes being nice doesn't cut it. If you want something, you have to go after it and not let anyone stand in your way. Not everyone is going to be your friend or wants to be. Business is business and don't take it personally. People say the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Sometimes you have to speak up even if it's against your personality. You can't let people walk all over you. Speak up and let them know you exist. You have a right to be heard even if you have to scream it from the top of your lungs. You can still be nice but don't be so nice that people take advantage of you. That's not right. The good, quiet girl I used to be has grown up and if the world around me won't take me seriously, it's time to make them. My time has come and it is now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment